Monday, August 11, 2014

The Tongue

I like to talk, and though some people might not realize it I like others who talk a lot too. It is a type of conversational style that I feel comfortable with and that is engaging and has a sense of honesty to it. When you talk a lot or fast you are bound to slip up and put your foot in your mouth, and to be able to do that comfortably with another person who is doing the same is a blessing and something I enjoy a great deal.

...But the tongue is dangerous, it is powerful and from it our hearts spill out, both the good and the bad. The sins inside of us, our repressed feelings come out into our words, as well as our hidden joys and excitements. The bible is filled with references to the tongue, many positive and many negative, warning of the danger it has, the sharp ability it has to bring low others.


Proverbs 10:18 "The one who conceals hatred has lying lips, and whoever utters slander is a fool. "

Proverbs 10:32 "The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked, what is perverse."

Proverbs 12:18 "There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. "

Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits. "

Job 15: 6 "Your own mouth condemns you, and not I; your own lips testify against you. "

Isaiah 6:5 "And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”"

Words of love and mercy and kindness do not naturaly come out of a mouth that is connected to a hateful heart, though there is deception in the end when we lose grip of our tounges our inner nature spills out, showing much of who we are, where we are on our walk with Christ, and our fears and anxietys.

These are some of the biggest problems I go through, fighting this, struggling with the desire to shut my mouth so that I do not hurt others, but at the same time to open it and spread the Gospel. I fail so very very often, shutting up the Holy Spirit out of fear, letting lose with my own tounge blinded by my pride or excitement or anger into thinking I'm speaking the Word.

I try to focus on Christ, focus on resting in Him, on learning, on my progressive sanctification, his forgivness mercy and love. When I think of what He has done for me, the more I dwell on Him and constantly have Him on my mind not the commands or the laws or the standards but simply Him, I find my tounge speaks far more often the Word of God.

If there was only less of Me in Me...and more of Him. But there will be! He has promised me! He has said so! One of my favorite verses in the bible, my standing point, my promise from God and yours as well..it always holds me up it always reminds me no matter how dark things are they will get better!

Romans 8:29 "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

So I move forward, guilty of and shamed by my sin of hurting others, of failing to glorify God, of spewing forth my own rhetoric and infrinces instead of the leadings of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God...but I know it wont be forever! He has said so! Oh my Lord my God my King He is doing a work in me! A work in me that will bring Him glory and that will give me more and more of Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment